Lyon-Japan cultural center is a linguistic, cultural and community services center for the French and the Japanese.
Situated at the heart of Lyon, the center is a unique space for cultural exchanges intended to explore and discover the Japanese traditions and modernity as well as the French culture through the cultural events of Lyon city.
Its 2 areas of competence are cultural and linguistic activities.
1. Lyon-Japan cultural center is home to a library, a shop and a leisure space where people can exchange information, advice and knowledge about the Japanese and the French cultures.
The library, which will open at the beginning of December, offers many French and Japanese novels and reviews about the Japanese culture with a free Internet access.
Next to the library, there is a leisure space where everybody can read books and magazines, but also watch the Japanese TV channel JSTV while having some tea in a very friendly atmosphere.
The shop offers a wide range of traditional and modern Japanese products and gifts:
- Cultural books such as Ma petite cuisine japonnaise by Laure Kié
- Traditional Japanese tea directly imported from Japan
- Japanese food products like noodles for example.
- Traditional and modern clothes and shoes: yucata andjimbee for adults and children as well as modern designed T-shirts.
- Traditional Christmas packages
- Hand-crafted bags and fashion jewelry made by an art designer from Lyon
- Goodies products such as calligraphic pens, stickers and magnets to personalize portable phones
- Bento boxes that are much appreciated today in France
- Hello Kitty products and gifts
2. The language school provides language courses in French and Japanese from beginners’ to advanced levels in small groups with native teachers and multimedia resources.
All the courses put emphasis on active communication based on exchanges in real situations where the students build up a vocabulary adapted to their needs.
To improve their oral skills, the students learn with the help of a Japanese video-based method including workbooks and CDs, but also a free access to on-line courses with a teacher.
Lyon-Japan cultural center will soon offer several 2 to 4 weeks French immersion programs:
- French immersion courses: the students immerse themselves in the French language and culture in addition to living with a French family
- Intensive French theme courses: the students participate in cultural visits and learn French-themes related vocabulary to understand the French culture. For example, they discover the French wines in the caves of the Beaujolais region near Lyon as they study wine vocabulary.
16, rue Bellecombe